Welcome to our School!
- Higher Education and Life-Long-Learning
- Research and Innovation
- Multi-level dissemination of new knowledge for the benefit of the scientific community, society and the economy
Who we are
The School of Agricultural Sciences, Hellenic Mediterranean University, has a rich and lively history of 50 years, a steady development and broadly acknowledged achievements in Higher Education and Research. From the very start of its function, our academic staff and the thousands of our Graduates have fully supported the agricultural production sector, in Crete and through the rest of the Country, to fulfill its various and ever-increasing needs.
Today, after the establishment of The Hellenic Mediterranean University (Hellenic Law 4610/2019), our School consists of two Education Departments, Agriculture and Food Science and Technology1. Our education and research infrastructures are located 2 km SE of Heraklion city, on top of Estavromenos hill. The University Farm, ca. 40 hectares of greenhouses and open field crops, for experimentation and for the hands-on education of our students, lies in the neighbouring valley.
We provide 5-year University studies. Our First Degree is an Integrated Master’s, at Level 7 of both the European and Hellenic Qualifications Frameworks . Our Degree is an exact equivalent to the Fist Degrees of the traditional Hellenic Agricultural Universities, bearing the same Professional Rights (Hellenic Law 5039/2023, Article 131). We also run other specialized Master’s Degree Programmes as well as a complete PhD Programme.
Parallel to University Education and Research, our School expands to Educational and to Research Centres as well as to Innovation Clusters. The School has developed a network for national and international cooperation, with a broad impact of our achievements on the financial and social challenges, including
- The development of sustainable agricultural systems, for the production of adequate and safe food of high nutritional value.
- Climate change, mitigation and adaptation strategies.
- Preservation and amelioration of the farming environment and beyond.
Contemporary, proactive Higher Education and Research that inspires young scientists – future thinkers of their science.
Our strategic fields
The educational and research activities of our School mainly focus on seven fields of science and technology, aiming at our contribution to the economic, environmental and social sustainability of our Country, Europe and the world.
- Sustainable Agriculture – Agro-ecology
- Quality Assurance and Safety in the Agricultural Production Processes
- Crop Pest and Disease Management, and Safe Use of Agrochemicals
- Crop Plant Genetic Improvement
- Botany, Floriculture and Landscape Architecture
- Atmospheric Pollution, Climate Change, and their Impact on Agricultural Production
- Agricultural and Urban Waste Management
Professor Eleni Goumenaki
Dean, School of Agricultural Sciences
The Department of Agriculture belongs to the School of Agricultural Sciences of the Hellenic Mediterranean University (HMU). It was established by Law 4610/2019 and its academic operation began in the winter semester of 2019-20. The Department of Agriculture is the evolution of the renowned and internationally recognized Department of Agriculture Technology of the former TEI of Crete.